Saturday, August 17, 2013

I Spy Colors: An Adapted Book

In less than two weeks, our kiddos will be back to school. During those initial days, we plan on assessing the students to see how well their skills maintained over the summer (or, if the student is new, we will assess to determine what skills they currently hold). A popular skill program in our K-2 classroom is learning colors. We tend to teach the necessities (red, yellow, blue) as well as extra colors (purple, green, orange, black, etc.).

To compliment our traditional direct instruction, I like to create a resources to help practice common skills. Adapted books are one of my favorite methods (if you couldn't already tell) of doing this. So, today I authored I Spy Colors




I Spy Colors is designed to increase expressive and receptive language. It targets skills such as naming pictures of objects and colors.

Differentiation (or leveled, individualized) instruction is a built-in feature, too! For example, a teacher may read with the student and then prompt, "Find red." The student could point to the red items on the page or the teacher may require the students to name the red items by saying "firetruck" and "apple." A more advanced student, however, may read independently or with the help of the pictures above the text.

I think this book will prove to be a great resource. Hopefully I can make a few more of these before school starts!

To my parent readers out there: Books like this can be great resources for connecting with your child at home. We often take adapted books on our C.B.I. (community based instruction) trips for the students while they are waiting or on the bus. Remember, your child's learning starts with you!


Get your own copy of this resource here, in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.

This resource and all others will be sold at a reduced price from August 18th-19th for the Teachers Pay Teachers back-to-school sale! Load up your cart for this great savings event!




Also, here's a quick peek at another adapted book I finished today. Do you recognize it?




Happy Teaching!
Kortnie C.

No comments:

Post a Comment