Sunday, September 8, 2013

MORE D.I.Y. Fine Motor Tasks: Concept Circles

I love simple ideas that I am able to use across students, skills, etc. When I first made this resource, I realized I would be using it. A lot. Luckily, it is composed of some of my favorite characteristics: easy and inexpensive to make. I have about six of these in my classroom now, with more plans to add as the kiddos master the ones we currently use. So, what exactly am I talking about? Do-It-Yourself Concept Circles!


To make these, all you really need is a skill, any skill, in mind. They are the perfect, easy-to-make resource for just about any kiddo with any repertoire. The ones in my classroom now include matching colors, counting 1-12, counting 13-20, and letter sounds a-e. I've created these with other materials, too (as pictured below).




The possibilities for these are endless. Materials necessary for the circles shown are clothespins, permanent markers, and card stock. I've added Mayer Johnson picture symbols to mine as well as other crafty items like sequins. I also laminate for durability, of course. (Who am I kidding, I laminate almost everything!)

The gist is simple; the student matches the clothespin with the correct space on the circle. Once taught, they are great as an independent activity for practicing a skill. Just be sure to teach how to "use" a clothespin to your kiddo(s) first!


To help you get started, download a copy of my concept circle templates for FREE here in my TpT store. Templates included are blank circle, 4-piece circle, 6-piece circle, 8-piece circle, 10-piece circle, and 12-piece circle. Also included in the download are TWO uppercase alphabet skill circles (A-L and M-Z).

To use the alphabet skill circles, print and laminate. Then, grab 24 clothespins. For matching uppercase with uppercase, use a permanent marker print an uppercase letter on each clothespin. For matching uppercase to lowercase, print a lowercase letter on each clothespin. Simple, right?

If you haven't already, be sure to "like" Adventures with ABA in AS on Facebook for exclusive freebies and information!

Happy Teaching!
Kortnie C.

No comments:

Post a Comment